View Single Post

Garage
[QUOTE=RarlyL8;8056849]I did a fair amount of header research when designing our equal length 930 headers. Conventional wisdom at the time was the shorter the better. Turned out that was only half the story. The full story was the shorter the equal length the better. What true equal length primaries and secondaries do for you in a turbo application is allow the engine to produce more torque off boost and then to produce more peak power on boost. This is in a street application mind you, racing is a whole different ballgame. I dyno tested every system I could get my hands on using the same engine. The equal length system is magic. The tuned sound alone was worth the effort. The key is for each pulse to reach the turbo in the same timing as the firing order, not a mish mash of odd fire pulses. Each pulse hits the turbine in a coordinated efficient beat.
Building short tube headers is easy and gives you a high percentage of gain over standard heat exchangers. I would not have gone to all the effort and expense to build a tuned system if it had no added benefit. This is not a new or unique idea.

I was waiting to hear for some live facts thankyou
But and im sure this has been argued, and i think we already have sort of..

Definitively between a NA and Turbo motor????

diameters of pipes?

I read Corky Bells Turbo book and there is a consensus that Bigger is not always better in turboed motors, ie one site promotes the fact that you can roll a tennis ball down their pipes as theyre so large,

So Equal length is good!

But Velocity?

If i went out and got large diameter headers put on my engine with my little 3ldz would i have slower time to max boost?

and small diameter headers, Faster time to Max Boost?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)