View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
917 Style/Inspired Shift Knobs

Hallo!

I'm proud to announce that Pelican Parts is now carrying the 917/908 inspired shift knobs that I hand turn on a wood lathe. While not an exact replica, I am carrying the tradition on a shift knob that another Pelican had started. The shift knobs I create are turned from sustainable mahogany and maple. I rotate the thinner maple strips 90* so that I end up with a stronger laminate, one that won't warp (okay, wood is wood and does it's own thing, but this method minimizes things). The rotation also enhances the "chatoyancy" in the woods, by contrasting each other. So, without further ado...

The knobs above are finished with polyurethane.

I have designed a aluminum bushing that allows fitment for 911/912 model years 1965-1989. The bushings will also fit most 914's as far as I know and are listed in the catalog as well. They were also designed with longevity and ease of install/removal in mind.

Two finish options are available at the moment. Friction and Polyurethane. The friction polish arrives with a "high" gloss, but will wear down and "patina" more quickly, but still providing the wood with the necessary protection. The poly finish will attain the high gloss finish much longer and will also protect the wood a bit from light scratches/dents, but will also wear with age and eventually attain a random "patina".

The diameter of the knobs are roughly 48mm, slightly larger than the stock 911 knobs.

Questions, comments, complaints, kudos, et al, please direct to me. I want to make sure everyone is a happy camper.

Link to the 914 catalog
Porsche 914, 914-6 (1970-1976) - Shift Linkage - Page 1

Link to the 1974-1989 spot in the Pelican Parts catalog:
Porsche 911 (1974-1989) - Shift Linkage - Page 2

Link to the 1965-1973 spot...
Porsche 911 (1965-1973) - Shift Linkage - Page 2

Shift knob landing page: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/PORS/POR_PORS_MCKNOB-detail.htm

**I recommend a little blue loc-tite for the set screws.

The knobs with the anodized black bushings will appear in the catalog in the next couple days.

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 12-01-2016 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Loc-tite mention
Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)