View Single Post

help with alignment and ride height

Hi all I just went thru a suspension rebuild and I'm having alignment issues and could use some advice and help. My car is a 1982 Turbo that I went thru and rebuilt the suspension, 22 & 30 mm torsion bars, poly-bronze bushings front and rear mono balls front and rear, re-valved shocks, ball joints, spindles raised 30mm and Elephant Racing's racing bump steer kit.
basically I lowered the car 1/2" lower than European spec as per Bruce Andersen's book, 24 1/2 inches from ground to fender lip on the front and 24 inches in the rear (Bruce's book said 25 and 24 1/2). I had the car corner balanced already. The shop I have doing the alignment is having an issue trying to get the alignment correct. When they get the camber correct the toe will not come into spec. Right now the rear is -2.4 camber and .31 toe on the left rear and -2.2 camber and .41 toe on the right, I don't remember what the front ended up camber wise but I was told the front camber would not be an issue, the loss of adjustment for toe is the front problem. The guy doing the alignment (highly recommended by local PCA racers) was trying for -1 front camber and -1.5 in the rear I don't remember the toe.
there was an additional issue with the front toe that wont adjust anymore and it's some thing like 1/4" too much toe in. The tie rods are screwed in all the way into the tie rod end (I have Elephant Racing's racing bump steer kit), anyone ever run into this issue before? I'll probably end up buying new tie rods?
Does anyone have any suggestions on alignment settings for a lowered car? I was wanting a street/track combo alignment. Should I expect more negative camber than the alignment tech is trying to dial in?
Thanks for the help, Frank
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 05-15-2014, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)