View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
Ball bearing turbos are not even available without water cooled housings. They didn't create that tech note for nothing. There probably are usage cycles that allow a non-water cooled housing to live, for awhile, but I have seen several now that have been cooked on a 930. The manifold theory is not accurate. The turbine housing has enough mass on its own to overheat the center section.
You are wrong in your assumptions. I told you 911 engines are unique. Since virtually all other applications need cooling they standardize the product with water cooled center housings. There was a time in the turbo reman business where all small turbos got water cooled bearing housings simply because there was an overstock of that type of housing.
I doubt you saw any cooked that ran synthetic oil. If they failed in very short order they were defective from the start ( a very high percentage) and if later do to causes Chis listed and not over temperature at the bearing
Ball bearings are all the rage because the aftermarket and their customers think they have value. They are sold on statements like all the high level race teams use them, Audi, Porsche, etc. What you are not told is these teams do not use the same turbos offered to you. Their turbos come from racing support enterprises, usually an extension of their lab operations. They pay thousands of dollars for their hand built, high precision assemblies.
There are virtually zero high volumn commercial applications to point to and say see ball bearings are the bomb! Water-cooling solves the problems introduced by use of cheap oil.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)