View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Been running Valvoline VR-1 forever, but have read too much oil pressure in most turbos is not recommended (straight from OEM turbo literature). At cold start, my gauge pegs and stays there for quite awhile; clearly over max recommendation for idle pressures.

Maybe a 40 weight would be better? My only concern is Texas gets really hot.

Diesel oil, yay or nay?
I use 20w50 VR-1 in Florida and the gauge doesn't peg on cold starts. It doesn't in winter when it's 40 to 50 degrees out either.
Sounds like the oil pressure relief valve is stuck on yours.

Get under the motor and remove the threaded plug for it in the bottom of the case slowly and the spring and valve piston will slide out or it might take one of those skinny magnets you can buy to reach in there any pull it out so you can inspect it.

It's possible it got stuck at TDC in it's cylinder so it isn't being pushed down compressing the spring by oil pressure to where oil can pass out holes in the side of it's cylinder.
Sometimes people put washers or a 6mm nut inside the piston to shim up the spring tension to raise oil pressure a little. If you find any in there try removing them and see how it works.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)