View Single Post

GJF - Your car is amazing (understatement)...wow!

As to the comments made by TurboKraft Chris. Mercedes were also using almost identical Bosch CIS / mechanical injection all the way to 1991 in their S-Class flagship cars (W126 and R107 chassis), so Porsche is not the only guilty prestige marque out there.

I have repeated this so many time I feel like a broken record, but the factory intercooler was designed by a now defunct Austrian Fridge Manufacturer and there was no real hot weather testing done on this unit. How do I know this? I spoke to Porsche development engineer for the 930 about 10 years ago (now resides in the U.S). Notice the "rhomboid" core on the factory intercooler? That is a marginal attempt by Porsche to increase the airflow path from inlet to outlet thereby hoping to reduce the temperature

If you look at a factory intercooler next to a new modern core design, it is really quite primitive and undersized for a fairly large and powerful 6 cylinder that has "challenges" managing heat. Porsche should have continued to develop this unit from 1979 onwards but were too busy making handsome profits and had a complacent attitude to re-engineering and development (R&D).

I could write a paper on this stuff, as I have designed several intercoolers for my 930 (and for many other cars) using AutoCAD and then tested the thermal efficiency and pressure loss in the lab at work also against other manufacturers out there to see how my unit stacked-up.

The pictures below were taken over 9 years ago:
Stock vs B&B:

My first design (left) vs B&B:

My third design that is now on my car (3/4 bay, retains the A/C, retains the rhomboid core design, remove the O-rings, can be removed in 15 minutes and bar and plate aluminum core), unfortunately a poor picture:

Regards,
Yasin
Old 05-25-2014, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)