View Single Post

Mine is an '87 and according to the thick folder of receipts I got with the car the distributor was replaced by the previous owners mechanic with a new distributor for an '87 years ago when they were available. It was expensive too.

I don't know if your '86 has the same one but it probably does. My car was sctually built in 1986 as an '87 model.
You may not have an '86 distributor in yours unless you check the part number or you are the original owner of the car and know it's repair history.

All I can say is I know what I wrote for my '87 distributor is correct because I have had the the distributor completely apart twice so I know the mechanical insides of it and I've checked operation of each side of the dual pot emissions distributor with vacuum and positive pressure from a dual action mighty vac tool and watched what it did. It's simple to prove it by doing that.

Different years are different so there is no way of actually knowing what you have unless you test it yourself.
My distributors vacuum retard pot leaks now so that function is not working. Idle speed ignition advance is a little higher because of that and that makes idle speed a little higher.
I just turned the idle speed air bypass screw on the throttle body to get idle speed back down to 800 rpms where I like it and I may just leave it like that permanantly.

I did find one place in the USA that has one new dual pot vacuum canister in stock for an '87 but they want around $275 for it and I'm not paying that for one. So as long as the vacuum advance/boost retard side of the one I have works I'll just leave it like that.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)