View Single Post

Rear Bumper Ideas -pix please

Removed the bumper from my 89 Coupe (narrow body) with 3.3 T (heavily massaged over ) to remove K27 for freshening up. I never liked the heavy rear bumper. I want to do something "unorthodox" in the rear and since this change is not permanent to the body I really don't care about originality (this is my toy car the other 911s are too classic to mess around with).

My idea is to cut the original bumper right inside of the mounting brackets and to leave the center of the bumper open. I am thinking to use narrow EU bumper guards to cap off the bumper. I think it will aid in cooling of the turbo and allow better access to engine. It will also give the car a very radical look. The idea is to have pre 73-ish length bumpers without a center piece but using the original bumper corners (actually saving the original bumper but buying a junk one).

I am thinking to make a detachable wire mesh shroud (no chicken wire) formed like the removed section of the bumper with a nice solid frame that can be powder coated or painted to match the bumper.

I think the visual impact of a glowing turbo and flames shooting out of the zork will be hair raising

My other idea is to use the factory bumper with out rubber guard and to drill1-1.5" holes in the bumper near the turbo.

Would love to see some pictures if anyone has gone bonzo on their rear bumper.

Prefer not to go fiberglass...that is too blase.

Any ideas anyone or has anyone gone down this path before?

Last edited by 6771911esses; 06-30-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Old 06-30-2014, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)