View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2odiesel View Post
Tip, I'm not sure if you are pulling my leg or I didn't explain it well. I've got a digital timing light that lets me measure timing advance. At Idle I measure about 5 degrees BTDC, at 2000rpm I measure 32 degrees BTDC. I can see the weights and the springs in the base of the distributor and I'm sure it is contributing to the total advance. I was surprised to see a mechanical advance mechanism when I was under the impression the Motronic handled the timing duties. It leaves me a bit concerned about how much advance I might have at 5000 rpm and .5bar boost. I can't get back there with the light and measure that.
The distributor has nothing to do with triggering the Motronic ECU, that's done by the flywheel.
Maybe your car has a different distributor in it than it came with. Either way it has no effect on your year of Motronic fuel injection and ignition timing, it is only directing the high energy voltage pulses from the ignition coil to different spark plugs while rotating.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)