Thread: Intro - New 930
View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words !

Thanks Jim for rotating the pictures. It's funny if I look at this thread from my iphone the pictures are all straight.

The oil level was actually really low, barely registering on the dipstick, as it was just after the oil change and I tend to fill one quart low until I can check it when the engine is warm.

I removed the muffler and cat this weekend. The old rusty bolts were not fun, I had to use the dremel to cut 2 of them.

The hot side on the 3LDZ was pretty black from carbon buildup, but not really oily as I would have expected if the turbo was leaking oil.
I haven't looked at the cold side yet but the charge pipe was pretty dry.

Should I expect to see oil if the turbo was leaking on the hot side ? Or would it be blown by the exhaust gases and burn anyway ?

The 6-yr old spark plugs were all pretty black, more than normal, the greasy kind of black, all of them, so maybe the turbo was also leaking a bit on the cold side ?

The turbo is still in the car with the 2 oil lines connected. Do I have to remove the drip tank (stock one) to get it out ?

Another question regarding the turbo oil pump. Do these sometimes fail ? Is it possible that the oil pressure was building up in the turbo causing it to leak after a couple minutes ?
The turbo oil pumps or scavenge pumps are pretty strong. I would change the seals because if they leak inside (shaft seal) then they might not work or not enough and might cause your issue.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)