View Single Post

OZ,
Just curious, where are you heading to? I passed the 3-year mark on my overseas work this past Feb. I usually make it back for about 2-weeks every 6 months or so. If you won't be returning for a year or more, I'd consider using fogging oil down the intake and in the spark plug holes. I've had good luck with the following:

Fuel treatment: The star-tron enzyme fuel treatment was recommended to me by a well-known engine builder who builds engines for high performance boats that tend to sit every winter. Run the car down below 1/4 tank, add and drive the car to get it mixed and throughout the fuel system. I've had good luck even with the donkey urine they call gas on the east coast (knock on wood).

Tires: I have a second set of wheels with good tires that I put on when I come home for driving. I swap out my original fuchs with their ancient tires prior to departing. Six months will flat spot tires enough where it won't go away after driving even if you over-inflate them a little (experienced on my pickup truck). If you don't have a second set you can put the car up on jackstands, but you may want to block up the suspension some as well, as I've heard it can damage the seals in your shocks to leave the suspension at full droop for long periods like that.

Battery: One of the battery tenders would probably be a good option, but I simply remove my batteries and place them in the house where they won't be subjected to freezing temperatures. Possibly an old wives tale, but I follow it - don't place the batteries directly on concrete, set them up on wood or something else.

Mice: I live out in the country, so we inevitably get mice every spring and fall. It seems everyone has a different idea of what keeps the mice out; mothballs, dried blood, dryer sheets, yet for every idea there seems to be three people who tried them and still had mouse problems. I've had the best luck with my bucket trap in the garage:

Take a 5-gallon bucket and pour a gallon of RV-antifreeze in it followed by 1-cup of vegetable or other cheap oil (prevents it from smelling). Take an old beer can and drill 1/8" holes on center-line. Fish a wire coat-hanger through the beer can and reconnect the hanger so the can spins easily on the coat hanger axle. Bend the hanger so the can remains centered.

Glue some sunflower seeds or peanuts to the outside of the can and throw a couple inside the can for good measure. Hang the hanger/can so that the can sits even with the top of the bucket. Place a 2x4 or something as a ramp leading up to the long edge of the can.

When you come back, the RV antifreeze and oil are biodegradable, so you can just toss the whole contents in the woods (it will stink when that oil comes off!).

Good luck,
Todd

“The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.” ― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Old 07-12-2014, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)