View Single Post

Garage
I am currently in London and my car remained in Canada. I am only here for 18 months so it was a bit easier for me.
I simply preserved the fuel (full tank) with stabiliser. It says it is only good for up to 2 years (depending on the brand) so taking the car out once a year to use the fuel may not be a bad idea. I also sprayed fogging oil in the cylinders and exhaust before plugging it with an oily rag to keep the moisture out. Inside the car, I left some boxes of baking soda to keep the moisture down and I put the car up on blocks. The tires are touching the ground but not much weight is on them.
Fresh oil in the engine to reduce the acidity which could cause corrosion inside the engine.
I also removed the battery. A guy will be trickle charging it once in a while but I would not expect miracles after 3 years. I would not leave it in there with a battery tender as you can never be sure it won't leak and damage your battery tray area.
When I come back, I will just change the oil and brake fluid, inspect the rest including tires and give it a try. Also, it is a good idea to turn the engine over with the spark plugs removed before starting as oil or fuel could have leaked in the cylinders and hydro-locked the pistons which could cause catastrophic consequences if you just crank the engine.
I was originally going to ship the car here with me in a sea container but insurance companies did not like to insure it in London so I cancelled that.
I understand I have a fairly limited experience on this but I'm sure others will add to this.
Good luck!
David
(P.S. It is really hard to not have the car for a long time)
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 07-13-2014 at 03:08 AM..
Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)