View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
You've done a superb job here! I believe the epoxy will be sable to high temps. My thinking was the contact cement might be a time saver if you can work your covering material easy enough during a set up time frame. With the Porsche curves of the dash it all takes time. Want to do mine next? What did you use to get the tight crease along the top?
Thanks Smooth.

I tested some contact cement and a good coat took over an hour to dry on the woven backing on this vinyl. And just a few minutes on the dash.

From your comment about "working" the material with contact cement, perhaps we're not on the same page where contact cement is concerned. As I know CC, it is applied to both surfaces, and once the cemented parts make contact, that's where they stay. There's no working CC'd parts into position after contact is made. Perhaps there is contact cement that is workable.

I'd consider doing your dash if you're serious.

By "crease" I believe you are referring to the small lip that would keep things from sliding back and off the dash. That crease is achieved with a piece of semi-flexible tubing with a radius that fits nicely into the crease. When doing each top section, I placed the covering material so it required a slight push into the crease. The tubing was used to make this push and then held in position until my 11 minute timer went off. Each section along the top needs to be treated the same and with the same pressure on the crease to get the crease even over it's entire length.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.

Last edited by Discseven; 07-15-2014 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-15-2014, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)