View Single Post
E-85 sippin drunk

Yes, the fan is lightly pressed onto the shaft of the alt... unbolt the strap that goes around the fan housing, , and pull the housing forward enough to unbolt the air shroud from the back of the alt. You will then need to unhook the wires off of the back of the alt. Then pull the unit out of the car.

Once on the bench, look at the front of the fan, near the pulley area. You will see 12 or so small holes cast into the fan. (they are open holes and go all the way through). pick two holes directly across from one another and tap holes with a thread tap. ( I cant remember what size, but 6mm sticks in my head for some reason)...
Find or buy 2 2" long bolts or screws and threadinto the holes that you just created threads in. Take turns screwing eack bolt in equally, and tthe bolts will bottom on the alt, and as you screw them in, the fan will be pushed off of the shaft. DO NOT try to pry fan off the shaft, you will break a blade (or more)......

Sounds more difficult then it is, and is the easiest way to take the fan off the shaft, without damaging it.....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 07-16-2014, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)