View Single Post

Mine had a Weltmiester short shift kit in it when I got the car. I brazed the connection you had glued together with JB weld with actylene and oxygen torch and brass rod. It's very solid and not coming apart.

Then to get the shift knob exactly where I want it I put damp towels on the seats to protect them and heated up the steel shifter rod where it bends back toward the driver red hot and easily bent it back and over to the left a little while sitting in the driver seat. Then remove, sand, and repaint the shift lever black afterward so it looks new again or hide the burnt paint area under the leather boot. This worked good and now the shift knob is where I like it. Third gear is not a long reach and it all works great.

The Weltmiester has the shortest throws I've ever felt and the transaxle was rebuilt by the previous owner so all the synchro's and bearings work good.
I always match rev double clutch on downshifts so I'm hardly using the synchros and shifting is always smooth.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)