Thread: 968 v. 928
View Single Post

I have had an 84 928 for several years as semi daily driver. got it when I was morphing my 85 911 Targa into a DE/street car.

retired the 911 from the track and returned to top off pleasure driver.

picked up an 86 951 project to be my next DE / street car. finished installing a rebuild engine, so far have not driven hard as still breaking in the motor.

as stated,

Quote:
depending on your budget for purchase and maintenance, and how you intend to drive the car, should be the determining factor for this decision.
I LOVE the 928 as a GT driver. these older 16V 928s aren't real fast off the line but will eat up the miles at autobahn speeds in comfort. and you will almost never see another on the road, gets a lot of looks and thumbs up.

as I installed headers and full 3" exhaust with magnaflows when doing a full rebuild of the front suspension/MM/etc, it is a bit loud but love that. growl grows to a howl as rpm increase, and sounds faster than it is. but still no slouch. I decided on it as I wanted an auto for DD and the 83-84 had the 4sp auto and the 16V for less complicated maintenance.

once you move up into the 32V cars, especially the S4 and up, they get faster, but more complicated and expensive to maintain. and get / feel heavier than the early ones. when I got my 928, first two years went through and refreshed the whole car. has pretty much been a turn key, reliable driver for the past few years. and ice cold AC.

I also love the 951. more tossable, nimble feel. a little more snug fit but still very comfortable. the 968 is a great car, but if you really want 300+ hp, you can get that easily in a 951 with bolt on upgrades. I did quite a few upgrades on the 951 along with a full 3" exhaust going for about 300hp. good sound for a 4 cyl/turbo, but just does not compare to the sound of the 928.

you really need to understand the 928, 968, or a 951 are all high maintenance cars. and all aging. if you cannot do a lot of the maintenance yourself, you will want to get a well sorted car with all major maintenance up to date. you can find 'cheap' 928s and 951s, but may cost more to refresh to the level you want than finding a good one.

in my case, I enjoy the wrenching part, so I do not shy away from a good car with potential.

now that I have 3 running Porsches, and about to dive into a full refresh on the 78 930, need to consider selling one. if I do, it will probably be the 928. and once the 930 is done, will probably sell the 911 targa. , but wish I did not have to sell any of them.

good luck with your quest.

and now for the eye candy.

(pic from PO)
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)