View Single Post
3 restos WIP = psycho

Well it sure as HELL ain't Sahara Diamond Metallic

That was evident after going to the local Wesco (paint supplier) and looking in their Glasurit book. What was also apparent is that the color of my car is assuredly not a factory Glasurit color. Every color we've talked about was in that book and my car isn't one of them. But I am getting ahead of myself...

I went to the shop today where the car is currently getting the old nip n’ tuck. The progress is slow and steady with the heads and cylinders all packed up to go out to the respective wizards who will make them all new again. Since the Ruf wheels aren’t staying with the car, I brought something that would suffice for rolling the car around until something else comes along. Original Weissach edition 7”/8” Fuchs with 21mm spacers look good, no?

Sometimes I feel like this car is trying to eat me alive…

I’d determined while at the shop, I really needed to get my hands on a body panel with some original color on it to continue research on what color this car came from the factory in. To this point, all I’d come up against are dead ends. After a false start with the gas cap, which appears to be the only part on the car that was properly removed and painted, we moved onto the rear bumper. I noticed that there was just a little bit of color peeking out next to the bumperettes and once removed, for the first time I was thankful for the laziness of the idiots that painted this car. We removed the passenger side valence and voila, a part I could walk away with:

Back to the trip to the paint shop. The patch of paint I had was too small to fit onto the spectrograph, so I had to try to do the color match the old fashioned way...color chips. There was nothing – and I mean NOTHING – in the Glasurit book. This color is not Kiln Red or Sahara Diamond Metallic.

The paint guy and I ended up digging through the DuPont color wheel book, looking for a group of colors that were close. After an hour of digging, We’d found a group of colors that provided an actionable starting points from which to triangulate a formula to try to match the color, the right metallic reflective color and grain, and the right pearl. I mashed up the formulas taking the color of one and the metallic and pearl of another to give us a starting point…and NAILED IT, first try. The color came out perfect - even the grain and reflected color spectrum is right. Ali at Wesco said it NEVER happens. 1 in a million. Lucky.

The color…no name, unless I give it one, and it is an amazing color. It comes out as a metallic/pearl whose color looks like ’74 Carmine Red under some light, and ’73 Aubergine under other light. One thing is for sure, this is a VERY hard color to capture accurately in photos.

I still have some hope that I will hear back from Porsche Germany on the color through my previously mentioned contact. But at least I can now take comfort in the fact that I can repaint the car in its original, and amazing, color.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)