View Single Post

Help with '85 930 S Flachbau Sonderwunschen

Hi All...I've been a long time Pelican user but this the first time I've posted on this post. I've read through all 40+ pages and am impressed at all the great info without all the banter you see on other threads.

I'm a bit stumped and I was hoping this community could help out. As many know, we strictly help owners sell their cars on consignment. Part of our job is helping the owners understand exactly what they have (or don't) and market it appropriately. Recently, a good friend of mine from AZ asked me if I would help him sell a close family friend's 930. Apparently, the owner is in his twilight years and has dimensia/alzheimer’s and just can’t remember much about his beloved 1985 Porsche 930 S Flachbau he purchased nearly 25-years ago. He did buy it from supposedly the original owner in AZ and believes that it was imported to AZ when it was nearly new. It did go through all the DOT/EPA stuff and received a catalytic converter, etc.

The deal is it was a custom ordered car by the original owner and imported via Grey market to the U.S. Everything was done legally in terms of bringing it into the States. The option sticker in the hood (see attached pics) is extremely vague with no options listed except the letter “S” in the far corner. The writing on the sticker is actually on a photo of the sticker done by the owner's friend when he was trying to decode things. There are some obvious mistakes. I told him the "930 770" was really just the designation for Turbo Coupe. Curiously, there are are no options listed on the hood sticker, but the certificate of authenticity from Porsche (which is historically wrong) shows all kinds of options (which are in fact on the car) but nothing about it being a Turbo S or a factory Flachbau. However, this car was custom ordered and it shows that in the paint to sample and interior to sample (we still have no idea what the actual color of the paint is called).

Upon close inspection of the vehicle, all the slant-nose options are in fact factory pieces and correctly installed…even down to the Porsche headlight motor used to move the pop-up headlights. The interior has the correct “S” center console and gauges. Also, it does have the K27 turbo, the extended neck inter-cooler, and the factory wrapped oil lines running through the front right fender. The car is at the shop right now getting new fog lights installed, a/c repaired, and a general inspection before we start listing it. I haven't taken any photos yet, but will do so soon if I can find the factory stampings on the box rockers, etc. The car was recently repainted the original color and it might be hard to see them. The flares are steel with the correct glass brake vents towards the back.

Finally, it has a very very unusual boost gauge in place of the clock (see picture). And, it has a very nice thick wood dash that looks factory. I did some research and found a very similar gauge and wood dash in the custom ordered street 935 for Mario Andretti that sold at Bonhams:

Bonhams : Factory commissioned and first owned by Mansour Ojjeh, Techniques d'Avant Garde,1983 Porsche 911 Type 930/935 Turbo Coupé Chassis no. WPOZZZ93ZDS000817 Engine no. 6700689

So, I’m scratching my head. How do I know if this is a “real” factory 930 S Flachbau or not? Everything points towards it being one of the 44 cars delivered in 1985. The owner believes so and does remember the car costing north of $115,000 when new.

Thanks a bunch.

Here are the pics I have so far...

1986 Backdated Carrera (R Gruppe/Rallye Toy)/1999 BMW M Coupe (Track Toy)/1973 BMW 3.0 Coupe (vintage touring)/ 1965 BMW 1600 (Rare first run...needs resto)/ 1967 VW Beetle (Wife's C&C toy)/ 1966 MB O319 22-window bus (vintage hauler)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #858 (permalink)