View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
I just sold a friends 79 and my 86 at Mecum in Monterey. For this to be a 60-70 dollar car it must have the following based on what I have seen at both Mecum and the open market

Important
A) Low mileage - if the car has over 50,000 it doesn't command top dollar
B) Original paint - buyers would rather have a 7 original paint than a 10 respray. Original color is a must. Black and Red cars bring the most with silver right there too.
C) original - pull the $10,000 after market stereo you put in back in 1988 and put in the used 200 Monterey with original speakers.
D) Records that substantiate mileage.
E) Bottom line is bone stock is what buyers want.

Helps
A) single owner or two owner cars.
B) Tools, compressor, jack factory books- buyers love this

Problem
A) your Koklen or Andial aftermarket intercooler may look cool and be better than stock but not to buyers. That stock intercooler you wanted 200 bucks for five years ago and ultimately couldn't give away is golden to a turbo.

B) The cool aftermarket steering wheels

C) The C2 style wheels you put on the car back in the late 80's or $7,000 HRE's. Factory Fuchs are golden

D) non stock exhaust . Buyers want to see factory original tail pipes

E) After market stereo's and alarms

The color change and mileage hurt this car a lot.. this is not a 17,000 car now but it was 5 years ago, however it is not a 35,000 car today either based on what I have seen. But one never knows...

My opinion nickel opinion
Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)