View Single Post
3 restos WIP = psycho

So now for the full story.

It just didn't add up. The color was so wacky and just didn't match anything in the book. I mean, they're are plenty of stories of people ordering a seemingly random GM color so their 911 would match their Vette... But this color wasn't even on the reservation with the books.

Fast forward to last week and I've matched the color that is hiding under the horrible black paint perfectly. I'm stoked because, DAMN, this color is both interesting and uncommon. Yet with the German precision of the Porsche factory coming to life after the August holiday, my world twists sideways as the email comes in: The original color, as we know now, is Sienna Brown Metallic.

Irony side, a cool f#ck!n6 color, no doubt, but just NOT the color I'd seen hiding under the nether regions of the car. Back in the presence of the 930, I figured I'd determine what the he!! was going on, one way or another. The good news, it didn't take long.

The short story, my car has been resprayed twice: Once by an extremely competent and detail oriented artisan and once by Helen Keller's drunk, quadriplegic brother.

The first respray was only evident after scraping a bit in the corners of the engine bay. There in those corners, where the first bits of the burgundy paint had pulled away, was Sienna Brown Metallic. The first respray was so good, it had fooled me, my mechanic buddy and several others.

The second respray, you know the story...a half stop on the crap-o-meter above the Krylon bomb can special. This is my motivation to respray. This car will be amazing again and as soon as absolutely effing possible.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930

Last edited by kenikh; 08-30-2014 at 09:05 PM..
Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)