View Single Post

1987 (3/87) 325i Convertible Ignition Switch Cont. Tests - Bentley's Manual Issue

Car just quit, it cranks, however, does not start. I am looking at the "BMW" 3 series Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and pages 41 & 42 Electrical System provides a Continuity Tests for IGNITION SWITCH.

Disconnected C200 and at the "Switch" side only three terminals ring okay when the Switch is placed in ON/START and one does not Ring.

The Bentley Manual itself says that there's two Violet wires but, I only see one. Additionally, the manual says there should be a BLACK/YELLOW and I don't see this color except a SOLID BLACK. The actual Switch harness has a Solid Green, Violet, Blue/Green, Solid Brown, Brown/Red and a Brown/Blue.

It has failed the C1 -to- C continuity.

Using the Pin-30 (RED) the solid Green, Violet, and Blue/Green rings with joy in ON/START. The others don't either in ON/START. Should I just replace the IGNITION SWITCH even though the Manual doesn't match the Switch Harness Wire Color Code?

The wiring references in the Bentley manual are a JOKE. Pages 41/42 Ignition Switch Continuity tests. The connector doesn't look exactly like the numbering diagram. Apparently "Terminal 9" black/yellow wire is the start signal that becomes "Terminal 50", but at this wiring connector it is a microscopically small wire size. There's no way that little thing can handle the juice needed to energize a starter solenoid. Did this "Terminal 9" go through a relay or circuit somewhere to become the larger "Terminal 50" wire that triggers the BMW starter?

Its so damn hot in the shop right now its hard to think, and once inside the car with the windows stuck up! you just sweat like mad and can't see within 2 minutes. I wish I could meet the guy that put this Bentley manual together, especially pages 41/42!

Can anyone help, Pretty PLEASE?

Last edited by guapoman2000; 09-02-2014 at 07:24 AM..
Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)