View Single Post

Rough idle and car dying‏

Something weird happened with my 1989 911 turbo Sunday night. I went out for a spirited drive and the car ran great. Getting off the highway coming up to a red light, I braked hard and came to a stop. While in neutral, idle started acting up, going up and down. Eventually, the battery light came up and the engine died. I restarted the car and had to press on the gas to prevent the car from stalling. When doing so, I noticed quite a bit of smoke. It drove ok until the next light and again, I had to stay on the gas to prevent the car from stalling. Decided to drive back home and went back on the highway, keeping the RPM low and staying off boost. I also noticed quite a bit of smoke when accelerating (off boost) in third gear merging on the highway. Couldn't tell what color the smoke was since it was dark outside. Again, when I got off the highway, the car wanted to die in neutral or when I had the clutch pedal pressed in. I was low on gas (slightly below 1/4), so I stopped and refilled the car. Started the car afterward and no more rough idle and stalling. No visible smoke either. Still, I drove back home slowly, worried that something could be wrong with the car.

Any idea what could be wrong? The car is stock, other than a Borla exhaust. The trigger seemed to be the hard braking, but this could just be a coincidence. Refueling and restarting the car appeared to resolve the issue, but again, this could just be a coincidence...
Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)