View Single Post
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
Are....no idea if it has LSD.
I'll check this weekend. Don't you raise the rear and spin one wheel and see what happens with the opposite side wheel or something?
Doesn't matter if it is worn out. When they wear out and no longer have any preload left, they spin opposite directions, just like an open differential.

Look at the type number on the gearbox. If there is a 12 between the type number and the serial number, it was originally equipped with an LSD. Thought that doesn't guarantee it wasn't snatched along the way.

Gearbox rebuilds really cannot be predicted in advance. It's one of those things where it has to be apart on the bench and inspected before you can have a full and accurate quote of what it will cost.

Might be a $2500 job. Might be a $5000 job. Add an LSD and you are in for another $2500.

Need a good builder over there? Talk to Mike Bainbridge and MBE. Or Autofarm. Or Francis Tuthill. Or Kevin at Historika. There's a pile of good vintage builders.

The upgrade formula is always the same. 1 piece bearing plate. 930 sized bearing billet side cover. Here in the States, myself, Wevo and CMS all make our own versions. I wouldn't doubt that there would also be local UK workshops making the same parts. Tuthill buys a ton of gears from me and bearing plates (aka teddy bears), but they've never purchased a side cover. Maybe they have a local source.

Pick up an issue of 911&Porsche World's newer Classic Porsche magazine. Good source of vintage suppliers who continue to service the 915 and the air cooled cars.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-01-2014, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)