Thread: Help!
View Single Post
beancounter

I'd agree that a baseline check of fuel pressures and the basic tune up list (check wires, cap, rotor) would be the first step.

Something intermittent like this sounds electrical to me. The WUR does contain a bimetallic strip that is energized with 12v and automatically adjusts control pressure as part of the "warm up cycle" although I am not sure if an intermittent loss of 12v power to the WUR would create an immediate change in the control pressure resulting in rich condition. There could be an ignition problem that is intermittent, and when it happens the combustion process is incomplete which leads to stinky gas smell in the exhaust. Smells rich, but it's not a fueling issue.

The '86 model will have the yellow square overboost relay of death in the engine comparment that gives many people problems, and I believe there are also some relays under the driver seat related to the k-jet lambda control module. Don't know much about that lambda crap since my '79 doesn't have it.

Intermittent electrical issues are tough to diagnose, especially over the Internet.

If you're at your wits end, there is a Pelican board member and 930 owner in the Pittsburgh area who is in the car repair biz. He doesn't post here much (see him in OT mostly), but might be worth contacting. His screen name is fastfredracing, says he's in Valencia, PA.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)