View Single Post
P-Car

Garage
Hey you guys, I really really do appreciate the consensus on all of this. Your experience and opinions provide a lot of value.

What I'm hearing is, the car is really worth $35K, $30K is what I should pay, and $40K is nothing stupid. Remember, I'm in Canada, where everything costs more. We never had $25K 930s up here.

I just got off the phone with the fellow (man he really loved this car) and he found the bill from 2003 @200,000kms (has 205K today) when the new clutch was put in, the valves were adjusted and "repair oil leak". It is possible that this oil is from before then and the engine was never cleaned thereafter. The entire drivetrain came out for the clutch job. I also found out he changed his oil himself 3 times in the last 11 years which could explain why that side of the engine is so soaked. I did note under the oil filter that he has not really cleaned up after the oil changes, there was a lot of oil on the frame. Also the car had a "compression test completed" 120PSI on all 6 after the valve adjustment. hmmmm. I might just take my compression tester with me and verify this.

Since this time the car was driven on occasion until 2008, thereafter it has been started and driven around the cul-de-sac until now.

If you heard this engine cold start and idle, it just sounds so incredibly fantastic and smooth. You can't ever hear the valvetrain, which most old 911s you can hear some ticking (even on my 250,000km SC).

It's just the more I talk to this guy, the better I feel about the car. If he really drove it to and from Langley, BC daily for a a couple of decades, which is actually 55.5km each way (I was wrong) 95% freeway, the car just won't have the wear of a 40,000 mile urban garage queen.

I don't want to come off as an arrogant arshehole, but when I bought my SC everyone told me the 911 was a $20K car. 4 years later it's not even been a $12K car, the car is better than I got it. When something needs attention, I park the car and take my time and common sense to fix it. Like the alternator, the dash light was glowing, I took out the alternator, repaired my cracked fan shroud (surprise) myself , found a guy who could heat press the diodes for the rebuild, $100 and Bob's your uncle. I upgraded the VR to a modern solid state unit for good measure too, $16.

I'm def DIY oriented, I use the internet, I can pull a motor, and I have decent tools I acquired slowly over the last 10 years.

Which brings me to, how really , and I do believe you guys, does $15K evaporate? TO be fair, during my stewardship, my SC has never been to a mechanic, valve adjustments, brakes, a couple electrical things and so on I have been able to figure out. I'm sure if I dropped the SC off twice a year we could be at $5-7K in running costs. I once disassembled the entire nose, prepped and had my bumper and valence professionally resprayed, found a good used bumper smile, polished the turn signal lenses, put it all back together, looks new for $300 all in.

I'm thrifty.

Last edited by woywitka; 10-05-2014 at 01:19 PM..
Old 10-05-2014, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)