View Single Post
P-Car

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Because it's leaking oil from multiple places and then collecting dirt.
I guess I could have said the motor is messy if that sounds nicer...

Whoever buys it can clean all that off with a couple spray cans of Gunk engine cleaner followed with some brushing while it soaks in and then pressure clean it off. A good powerful garden hose works OK too.
That stuff works best sprayed on a warm motor.
haha thank-you! When you said a mess, I thought you meant something to the effect of sorting it out is an obvious a nightmare.

In my time driving a 911, I have really been impressed with not only how reliable the car is, but how durable it is too. I mean, can't you just drive a car, change the oil, and when the engine blows too much smoke, or consumes a quart every 150km, then you look at rebuilding it? I wonder how many Porsche engines have been rebuilt that were actually fine. It's funny, I meet people who spend literally a house in terms of money keeping up their car, and then I meet people like the owner of this 930 who only ever changed the clutch, brakes, and tires. It's universally the low mileage garage queens that consume $100 bills like smarties.

But then again, could be my bias towards talking myself into buying a supercar with 200,000km.

Test drive is tomorrow. And I found out the owner is ok to have a PPI done, but really what's the point? I had a PPI done on my SC and I think the best thing I could do is convince the owner to let me do my own compression test, pop the valve covers and check the head studs, and do a really good poke around. I think he would be more comfortable if I did the work anyways to be honest.

A very reputable local shop wants like $650 for the PPI which will include a leakdown and headstud inspection (not part of standard PPI).
Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)