View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by woywitka View Post

Test drive is tomorrow. And I found out the owner is ok to have a PPI done, but really what's the point?
I think the best thing I could do is convince the owner to let me do my own compression test, pop the valve covers and check the head studs, and do a really good poke around. I think he would be more comfortable if I did the work anyways to be honest.

A very reputable local shop wants like $650 for the PPI which will include a leakdown and headstud inspection (not part of standard PPI).
Uh, yeah.. unlike your SC, the Turbo has a lot more stuff in the engine bay that will need to be removed to do your PPI including a compression test, and basic oil change since you're popping the lower valve covers to check head studs. I'm sure the owner will develop some heartburn when you start disassembling his car in the garage.. and its not that much of a cake-walk if you've not done it before on these cars.

$650 is a decent price for the shop PPI especially since it will include the leak down.. something that will be difficult for you to due in the owners garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
On my car, oil consumption was well within factory limits. No smoking, car ran strong. Like I said, Porsches run great with broken rings and deformed pistons.

The "symptom" both of the cars displayed was that they didn't perform as well as expected given the modifications each had.
That's because these engines are very robust. And although one has suffered damage, as long as its in that state of being (having not been pulled apart) they often will still run just fine and exhibit no issue except possibly being down on power.

Although I have seen some that will just consume oil and smoke like a freight train we find that these problems are usually wear in the valve train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
I bought mine at 230000kays, took me a whole week to clean the undercarriage
Cost to restore mine so far is about 2 grand and most of that is for the roof and windows I had to buy cos im converting it back to a hardtop, I bought a mig welder too.. all in all pretty easy, watch Youtube to learn how to paint and ask a few questions here.. ts easy as pie, these cars are NOT complicated, im no mechanic or painter, or panel beater or electrician, etc etc..

If you look at it logically all it is is about a ton and a half of metal paint plastic and glass, Your not rebuilding a space shuttle, unless you want to show her?

The only thing you need to know to restore a 930 is to Read and know how to get to the youtube page

If engine bad inside so what?
fix it, go on you tube theres a guy there who has done a step by step dismantle and recondition of a 930 engine its in 6 parts.
In a word..

SCARY!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)