View Single Post
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
My car was dead-even in an impromptu stop-light drag race with a virtually stock '87 930. This was after I had spent a bunch of money on new exhaust, and an upgraded turbo. I should have been able to pull away from a stocker, but I couldn't.
Never (ever) underestimate the sheer awesomenessitudeification of mah driving PROWESS!

don't forget, your car was puffpuffpuffin out the oil filler @ idle - that was a pretty dead giveaway there

to the OP, I'm in the more conservative camp here - the rust doesn't terrify me, nor do the miles or the story

my biggest fear @ those miles is the gearbox, will almost certainly need attention soon - mine's graunchy @ 60k, and it's already had 3rd gear work @ 35k

I bet the leaks aren't nearly as bad as they look - most can be easily remedied esp if you're DIY friendly which you seem... oil return tubes, oil lines, timing chain covers, breathers, valve covers, the normal suspects. Unless you see it spewing out the case seam I'd not fret terribly - yet .

Definitely do the leak down then start low... say $27k, citing alllllllllllllll the "work" the car "needs". Me, I'd feel good about going $45k, prob no more than high $40k's (USD). Mostly as it's a 1 owner, amazing color combo, sport seats, great condition, and a car that was DRIVEN.

Amen on your sentiments about garage queens and smarties... I've long said I think many well heeled folks simply like spending $$$, and doing so helps them feel good about themselves and the car. Work that is definitely not always necessary.

Good luck, hope it works out for you - keep us posted...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)