View Single Post

Updates .

Installed the MSD 6 AL.

Putting that thing in was a pain in the rear, due to its size. I mounted it on the firewall as other have. This gives me access to the fuel filters/etc if needed in the future.

Mounting it was some work though. The firewall is not flat. I had to make a template, drill some holes, then tap the holes so the screws and rubber mounts would hold. The finished product looks good, but my body is killing me .

The good news is, the car idles better than it ever has. Rock solid at 600 RPM. No black smoke. Previously at idle it sounded like it was dieseling or lumpy, Thats now gone. Starts quicker too. I haven't regapped the plugs, as that was a pain last time due to access. That will have to wait.

I did order the NAPA rotor EP 407, and did recieve the correct non-resistor type (beige). That was the cheapest porsche part ever, at $4.07 plus tax .

I love this car, but I am getting a bit tired of fixing something every weekend. Lots of this is doing upgrades/beautification though...

For folks looking to get the MSD, the 6AL works great. If I had to do it over though, I would get the 6AL-2 which is the much smaller programable model, as its only $30 more. I didn't see this until after I already recieved the 6AL. The smaller model would fit where the previous CDI was. The 6AL won't, unless you are willing to leave the watersheild off the rear fuse box...

Bo
Old 10-07-2014, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)