View Single Post
alwaysflat6s alwaysflat6s is offline
Registered User
Join Date: May 2001
Location: S.F. North Bay
Posts: 1,318
Long term Californian. This is a real PIA. However, you are out of state, selling a car out of state. Your requirements should be limited to whatever the laws in YOUR state are. Personally, I would seek some professional advice. I highly doubt that you could get into a "situation" with a new owner having problems registering it here [and it probably will be a PIA]. It will be required to have either all the USA/CA spec emissions related, etc parts or get clarified/certified by a State Bureau of Auto Repair Inspector in order to be street registered.

If that wasn't clear. If you were in CA and selling the car within CA, you would be responsible for insuring it will pass an emissions test. That means a buyer would have legal recourse against you if it would not pass both the visual and tail pipe tests.

If you were in CA and selling it out of state.. it is up to the buyer to figure it out and ask appropriate questions, etc.

With you being in PA, it is probably prudent for you to advise the buyer in writing that you make no guarantee about the car passing CA emissions testing. I would sent this along with other important documents via certified mail and make sure you have copies of all.

This is probably a non-issue in terms of your liability but once you ask, you open a can of worms. I promise you a new CA owner will be jumping through hoops and will be spending $$ to get it correct here. Depending on how factory stock it is, or isn't, this can become very expensive.

GL to all
Old 10-08-2014, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)