View Single Post
Speedy Squirrel Speedy Squirrel is offline
Rocket Scientist
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 948
The following applies to vehicles that have NEVER been registered in California:

1. If the grey market car has been federalized for sale in the US, documentation and photographs of the compliance test, and a disclosure of all emissions control devices and settings is presented to CARB ( not the DMV). CARB will produce an inspection sheet and compliance form which can then be used to obtain a title and bar sticker. Subsequent emissions tests at the DMV will require the documentation to perform the visual and smog inspections.

2. If the grey market car has no documentation, it will have to be tested at the buyers expense for compliance at a CARB authorized independent laboratory. The test results are then submitted to CARB and the rest of the process is similar to case 1.

Be aware that the compliance testing costs in the 2K-6K range. Also, a 1981 Euro car will not pass, unless it has been modified to do so.

The requirement of the seller doing the testing applies only to a seller in CA selling to a buyer in CA.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)