View Single Post
P-Car

Garage
Just an update. After 2 days the total from the PPI came back. It was basically a skip the leak down, you're in for a reseal and inspection of the P&Cs because a leak down will only give a better indication of something we already know, the car needs the engine taken apart and this will vary by up to $6K on their $18,000 estimate to rebuild the engine.

The total of work needed was $27,500. Front brake rotors, clutch adjustment, rear wheel bearing, distributor rebuild, pedal bushing rebuild and then of course the engine. The fuel injection is not happy (likely from sitting). So I will need to drain the tank, replace the fuel filter, and put in a bottle of injector cleaner, go for an easy drive and cross my fingers that I don't have some stuck injectors. I've brought back CIS cars many times and been lucky. hmmm.

That being said, they said the engine sounds fantastic. The underbody is immaculate "one of the best we've seen" and the car is exceedingly original. The left rear fender has been painted, and I can confirm this as there is a record on the insurance in 1991 for a vandalism claim of $1,000. Seems about right at that time to repaint that area, the quality of the work was and still appears to be very good. The owner does not remember doing that, nor the fact that he actually replaced the windshield twice, once in 1986 and again in 2003. The shop said they don't believe the car has ever been hit and they had 3 930s there and said this car was nicer than those. One a guy had paid $60K for one of the 930s recently.

The shop did said I could sort the brakes, rebuild the distributor, do a full service (plugs, cap rotor, oil and filter) and likely drive it just fine. Which I'm sure i will attempt all those things myself. They said keep and eye on the oil leks, run 20W50 oil and some of the leaks may go away. They didn't seem adverse to the idea of driving the car, they said everything else including the transmission checks out "why not".

I went to the owners house and we chatted for another 3 hours, I really like him, he's just so cool and has tons of great stories. Such a great experience. He was disappointed by the inspection, especially because his friend put 400,000 on a 930 that had never been apart. But he came around and agreed the price may need to be revisited now.

He said let's think on it for a week, and that he understands that it needs a lot of work now. He refuses to sell it to anybody but me or he will keep it, despite the garage expressing interest.

My plan would be to rebuild the engine myself. Perhaps I'm in over my head, I guess I will find out. If the P&C are ok, then could it be feasible to just do the valve guides and reseal the engine?

I will keep you guys updated.

And BTW, you guys had everything spot on! Man, I've got a lot to learn, this is not anything like bringing back a 1988 Yugo (joking). I will start to listen a little better.

Last edited by woywitka; 10-10-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Old 10-10-2014, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)