View Single Post
Bad LT

So I did the standard Dip tank pipe into a measuring jug (Don't tell my wife I stole her spare) test with 100ml in the jug. Initially there was little suction but once I added a some rubber hose over the fitting it was sucking like a champ. Turned the car off the residual oil run into the jug. I ended up with 150ml in the just. Turned the car back on and the pump sucked it all up on the spot.
I thought hmm maybe I had a slight air leak in a fitting not being properly home last time. So I put it all back together and took it for a run.
Was great while I was taking it easy but once it was warmed up I started to give it more revs. After about 10 minutes the smoke was back at idle or trailing throttle. WTF.

So I took it home and repeated the test while it was still hot. After the first few seconds of oil burning off it was back to nice and clear without any smoke.

The only difference I can see hear is the fact that the jug was working as a vent. IE the drip tank was not under vacuum. Seeing as the only change I've made to the oil system is the drip tank I can't help but think it needs a vent?

Again this makes little sense to me as lets face it almost all aftermarket headers come without a vented drip tank. Clearly the factory tank has got a vent that runs to the air box.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)