View Single Post
jwasbury jwasbury is online now
jwasbury's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Weehawken, NJ
Posts: 3,625
Originally Posted by thenewgarage View Post
What is the proper name for this line? Wastegate hose?

any bright ideas on how to get something in there to tighten it without removing the intercooler, etc.?

While we are on the topic, I found myself asking how this system works. How does the intercooler correlate to the pressure of the wastegate and when it opens?
Commonly referred to as the wastegate hose, wastegate "signal" hose, boost "signal" hose.

Really very simple how this works. You floor the gas pedal, exhaust gases spin up the turbine which is connected to the compressor, compressor starts pumping air into the intake, ultimately creating positive pressure within the intake (this will be everywhere after the compressor - i.e. intercooler, intake manifold, and all connected "plumbing"). The wastegate has a diaprahgm which when pressurized via the boost "signal" hose acts against the spring holding the exhaust valve closed. The spring is calibrated to open when the boost pressure reaches a specific level (in stock config = 0.8BAR). When the exhaust valve of the wastegate is open, some of the exhaust gas is allowed to bypass to turbine, so that it doesn't spool up beyond the desired level.

If the hose clamp you want to tighten is not accessible from underneath, you probably should just remove the intercooler. Its easy and if you're going to DIY on this car, you need to learn how to remove it anyway.
Current: 1983 911 GT4 Race Car / 1999 Spec Miata / 2000 MB SL500 / 1998 MB E300TD / 1998 BMW R1100RT / 2016 KTM Duke 690
Past: 2009 997 Turbo Cab / 1979 930
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)