View Single Post
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
First of all, he's referring to the first ECU developed for a Porsche.

Second, Sal was tuning using EPROM burners and not modern tuning software.

That is a really bad reason to NOT use EFI.

Sal did it through the school of hard Knox.

I give him credit for having a huge impact on my knowledge of tuning.

If you equipped him with modern tuning software on modern EFI, he'd be tuning in a matters of hours or days.

I retuned my car with the bigger injectors in a matter of hours, once you get the methodology down.
You are correct. Let a shadetree mechanic at a CIS system with no knowledge of said system, or a set of guages, and you will have a mess!
Same thing with a high end aftermarket EFI system. You need to have a decent understanding of the building blocks and how things relate to each other.
Just like picking a turbocharger for your 930 (there are books devoted to just turbocharger theory), there are also several great books out there to read up on EFI as well.

I remember back in the early to mid 90's visiting and talking with Doc Emard at his house in Stone Mountain, GA. His slant 930 had an EFI system on it and a 3.2L intake on it... I remember that thing had 600 or so HP as well... So we are doing nothing new... just using improved software and hardware to get us there......
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)