View Single Post

Garage
Turbo oil return...suggestions please

Hi guys,

I've been returning the turbo oil to the sump via the sump plate with no issues at all for the last year other than a small leak.
The sump plate was modified to have an AN-8 connection and there has always been a small leak from this point. After several attempts to seal the threads using 3M thread sealer I started to suspect the welds around the AN-8 fitting.

I'm at the point where I either remove the sump plate and get it redone or I find an alternative.

I was originally going to return back to the oil tank but after several attempts and different methods gave up.
I've just thought of a possible simple solution and wanted to get some input from people in the know.

Current setup :

I have seen someone put a 90degree AN fitting on the sump plate drain plug fitting and return that way but it appears to hang down a way and I'd be concerned it may get knocked.

So I was thinking that as the 930 returned oil back to the tank with a dedicated fitting low down on the oil tank I could use a M22 x1.5 to AN-8 fitting on the oil tank drain plug fitting , then use an AN-8 90degree fitting.
I'm using a Turbowerz pump to scavenge the oil. If need be I could use a check valve to stop oil draining from the tank back to the turbo catch can and as the magnetic drain plug would not be used I could install a Turbowerx inline oil filter that also has a magnetic ring to remove metal particles.

Exa-Pure™ 100 Filtration System

So what does everyone think, any advantages or disadvantages in neither way?
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP

Last edited by gavinc69; 10-18-2014 at 05:21 AM..
Old 10-18-2014, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)