View Single Post
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
I recently pulled off the headliner out of my crashed '86 so I could learn how the factory did it prior to embarking on my new build. What I have noted is that the factory used a 1.5 inch strip of felt like material glued butting but not wrapping all hard edges, I.e. Top of door openings, and all glass. The exception is the sunroof where a canvas type material is used to wrap the edges. See pic.

The headliner is attached by gluing it to the exterior edges of all openings. No glue applied on top of the felt and canvas so theoretically, if you are careful, no part of the headliner that you see will have any glue on the backside. You will see this when you pull yours out. Also, check out how the sunroof liner was upholstered- no glue is applied to the backside of material facing the interior. So, in theory, using your suggested 3M glue should give you good results.

I'm thinking of using 3m 80 because of its claimed high temperature performance but I'm going to first test how well vinyl headliner material adheres to painted steel.

By the way, Joann's Fabrics have an excellent fabric backed foam that I'm am going to use to cover the sunroof box in place of the original foam which has probably despite grated in most cars.

Hope that a few Pelicans will chime in with their experiences and advise.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 10-22-2014, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)