View Single Post

Garage
Some other effects that were more significant than I expected:

- I can't just slam on the brakes, important to apply the pressure gradually (reach full pressure over 1/4-1/2 second). If I apply pressure too quickly I'll shock the front suspension and tires and the front wheels will lock. If locked fronts you need to back way off to regain traction. This has to do with weight transfer to the front wheels.

- Turning has a big effect on braking: if you're near the limit and turn the inside front wheel will lock. If you're braking and need to turn (like - to avoid something) you need to back off the brake in order to maintain traction. I found this pretty difficult in the dry where braking works so well, the sign for me was that steering didn't work so well with a wheel locked. In the rain and wet I found it easier since the difference in traction between rolling and skidding tire is so much more obvious. I found peak traction was surprisingly difficult to maintain.

- I was able to lock all 4 tires individually, based on varying weight transfer. Was much more difficult to detect when rear tires were locking. This matters: the wheels need to be rolling to achieve max traction.

Spending time to practice and explore threshold braking and maneuvering has made me a much more conservative driver and I've much more respect for modern cars with abs. Would be really embarrassing to plow into the rear end of a camry because you were out-braked.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)