View Single Post

Your 7006 is no longer made and they have good top end boost and not much low end and mid range because of the good sized turbine housing and turbine wheel. They may be collector items for people with a RUF that came with one. They are also very durable and they last a long time. Don't waste money rebuilding it unless you're sure it needs it. If it does need to be rebuilt Durabilt turbo does an excellent job.

I think if you put a larger and heavier K29 compressor wheel and housing on it making it into a hybrid it would have even more turbo lag because it will take longer to spool up the K29 wheel.
This is all really old school stuff and K27's are very over priced and expensive while they shouldn't be because they are currently obsolete compared to the new Borg Warner journal bearing turbos and Garret ball bearing turbos that all cost less.
There are ways to spend the same or less money while gaining a lot more performance by selling the K27 7006 to someone that wants one and buying a ball bearing Garrett turbo like the GSX 61 with billet compressor wheel that is built on a Garrett T04Z frame or a ball bearing Garrett GT35R.

There's no comparison in the performance. I had a stock 3K K27 7006 that was in my car when I got it, then a UMW/Durabilt K27 HFS I bought new, then another different 3K K27 7006 with the 3 allen head bolts in the compressor cover I bought used, and then a new ball bearing Garrett GSX 61 turbo with billet compressor wheel from turbos direct that cost less than the K27's and comes on earlier and faster at lower RPMS and smoothly builds more power as the revs go up.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)