Thread: Go Original?
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911TerryT View Post
An earlier reply to my question about #98 paint code referenced this color chart tracking 98 to a blue.
Whoever told you this is wrong. My car has correct 6801 slate gray code on the paint tag. A while ago I helped a friend sell a 70T Targa. Also with a #98 code from Porsche. On the paint tag we found the code of zit gelb, Porsche color discontinued after 69MY. You can also take a look in the factory workshop manuals. It lists #98 as special wish paint. Maybe your car was blue, but then it is a coincidence and nothing to do with this code. But Im pretty sure you will be able to find enough trace of the original color to be able to identify it.

Bummer that the paint tag is gone! If it had been there you could have removed it to find an excellent piece of your original paint.

It is common that the production date and trans numbers are missing on the 70-71 cars, but if your trans is in the correct range (possible to check) it it probably the original.

Even if they say it is not possible to trace code #98 to an actual color, I believe they have more info at the archives it they are willing to dig deeper.

Also take a look at this thread and please list your car here if you succeed in finding the actual color: Special Colors aka 'Paint-to-Sample' . . .
60 Porsche Diesel Standard
Old 11-01-2014, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)