View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
These engines are already balanced (pistons come in a size group).

The porting and manufacturing tolerances are pretty tight everywhere else. The cams are timed individually based on lift at a certain crank rotatio so I guess this means they are blueprinted too.

What specifically are you hoping to gain?
I seen back in the early 2000's a company back East(and they were not cheap!) which were getting about another 35-40 either HP or torque out the back wheels on a stock 3.0L, where virtually every component was brought under careful attention. I just don't remember them now.

Right down to every single washer, nut, bolt for instance on a con-rod to piston can be matched down to an almost imperceptible difference. It's just how much time does one have to do this.

Lexus for instance had to develop very special machinery to 'balance' their V-8's in development for the first LS400(which was really a skunk-works within Toyota), and the results kind of astounded their internal engineers as the motor then produced a very healthy bump in power, used significantly less fuel, and was much smoother, so the project was given the go-ahead. In terms of manufacturing, the rest of the world has kind of caught up in making engines with very close tolerances, etc.(from the book "The Toyota Way", which is a good book in terms of lean manufacturing concepts)

So with a base engine of around 300HP/300ft lbs of torque, I was looking for maybe another 35-50 'free' HP/Torque internally without any add-ons, and for all intents keeping it 'stock'. Granted nothing is for free, but this is another route for the desired results.

Last edited by Tilikum Turbo; 11-29-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Old 11-29-2014, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)