View Single Post

Garage
Long time no post of this ultra wide project. My small kids (1 & 2 & 5 years old) have been affecting to my time to build with other positive life issues, so this forever project has matured again... Anyway here is enclosed some old pics when having everything finally in glasfiber form at last summer and polyurethane form fillings are finally gone (the doors still have the filling in these pics, but the fiber doorskins are already formed and placed also since). Since these pics I have worked for stiffening parts by adding some fiber layers to crucial locations (here you see almost transparent thin fiber lamination to keep it lightweight) and adding the aluminum supports pieces inside laminated parts for joint purposes. I want to have fast attachments of body parts for racing pits. Since these robust pics surfaces has all got the top coat cover (as some areas in pics already have) for final sanding before painting.

I decided to go with GTS form rear arch curve edges as they fit better with front arch curve edges even if I was keeping the S4 rear arch edge form quite long in my design. Also the soft dent in rear arch makes the 2050mm wide rear body to look more refined I think.

Front corners will be opened in one-77 style for air (as I will have the air intakes and filters for both turbos in front corners) and the outer edge of front archs will continue down to wide front splitter part which is still missing in these pics.

The curvy forms of front archs are trying to maintain similar smooth convex and concave forms of front edge as in original 928 front archs, even if in wider form (max body width 1980mm in front axle). I think this outer form of front arch from convex to concave form is probably the most beautiful and characteristic form of 928 in my opinion and therefore point of saving also in wide body design.

Side skirts are going quite much below the floor with vertical inner surfaces to create some tunnel effet under the car with becoming floor plates.

CCW wheels I will be using for semislicks and 13" wide wheels will fit easily under even with maximum 400mm wide semi slick tyres. The offset is quite the same as 930 RSR of 935. The wheel in the pic is just set to place and not mounted with bolts as the rear hub behind is not in place as we are servicing them now.

Strosek OZ wheels Will be one of my slick tyre sets and as widened to 13" will accommodate 400mm slick tyres in rear. Front tyres will be 285mm in 11" wheels as if I don't want them wider when testing. Front archs do accept tyres up to 315mm if necessary. Front offset is quite similar to 930 RSR / 935 front offset, which allows me to use same racing wheels in this car as I am running our other 911 projects with some thin spacers to do final adjustment.

As having max 2050mm rear body, with max cambers in rear (like 3,5-4,0 degrees if necessary) even the most widest tyres do stay under 2100mm maximum width (FIA GT1 regulation), so the rear is as wide as it can be according to European racing rules. Front axle max width is only 1980mm as the front scrub radius must remain reasonable (with standard front arms, and not moving complete front suspensions with attacment points more outwards) and therefore making wider front archs than this, doesn't serve any sensible meaning at least for me.

Next I try to put our racing suspension (front #1000lbs, rear #700lbs) back to car to get it on wheels to check how everything fits when ride height is set to proper racing height. Then if everything fits, and ground clearanse of side sills is about 50mm (European rule for minimum), I finish surfaces of the parts and the final attachment fitting to car can be done before final sanding and painting. Hopefully these are my last pics from our 'barn tent' and we can move this car after painting to continue building indoors in our clean workshop...

Last edited by petri; 12-02-2014 at 01:44 PM..
Old 12-02-2014, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)