View Single Post

Finally got a once over....

About 5 years ago, I bought my 930 with out a PPI. Go ahead and flame me but I did not get one as I felt good about the car based on the many I looked at/put my hands on, and it had some valuable records/work already done.

A friend which I met about a year ago who has local shop, was a RSR, 934/935, 962, Lotus factory race team mechanic etc back in the day. He had a friend from Australia in town who has a similar but maybe more impressive resume. Both worked in the EU, and the US on high dollar / high profile teams and know their stuff (great stories).

No one other than me has worked on the car since I purchased it, so I decided to use these resources to look over the car. Thankfully there were no mechanical surprises. We id'ed the oil leaks from the breather and scavenge pump, and was given some suggestions to freshen the car (replace the original brake lines, a few other hoses etc).

When I purchased the car, I was told the paint was all original except for the drivers door. Yesterday I was told it appears there was paint work on the right rear fender. I don't know the extent of the damage which occurred, but the fender looks "perfect".

While I can say I dodged a bullet mechanically on the car, the work on the right fender bothers me and I want to know more. This now makes me want to get a paint and body man who knows his stuff just to look over the car to see its there are any further surprises. I have been looking at increasing the insurance value on the car (current at $50k), and this may help me make sure I have it valued correctly/not over valued.

At the end of the day they both said it was very nice solid road car.

79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si

Last edited by cellison; 12-16-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Old 12-16-2014, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)