View Single Post

Garage
My 1983 930 suddenly died after a long hot drive

Hello Fellows,

After purchasing my first 930 in May, today I drove 20 highway miles to the countryside and when returning to town I got caught in 30 minutes of intense stop-and-go traffic. Outside temperature was in the high eighties and engine temperature rose to the halfway mark (usually stays at the 1/4 white mark). After having passed the traffic area and driven two miles at around 40 mph (engine temperature began to drop rapidly), my car suddenly started to loose power and within 5 seconds the engine died and the car rolled to a stop. I was able to restart the engine one last time and drive the remaining 20 yards to my driveway before the car died.

The symptoms are the following: I turn the ignition key and the starter cranks strongly . However, the engine does not start. The rear fuel pump appears to be humming (as usual). I waited four hours to see if the engine would start again after it had cooled down. Nevertheless, the engine will not start. I am not sure if it is my impression but, the negative battery cable appeared to be hot.

Would anybody have a suggestion of where I should begin? This would greatly be appreciated.

Best regards,
Angelo
Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)