View Single Post

Garage
Do they ever rattle at idle? Or is it only one time when vacuum goes high?

I replaced an engine that I could find nothing wrong with other than it did make some knocking noises when the throttle was blipped. I had thought it was a chain tensioner (which I replaced), and then concluded it was a rod knock and replaced the engine rather than rebuild (back when a running engine was cheaper than rebuilding). The engine still sits as it was removed. I am now thinking (15 years later) that my less than professional opinion could have been wrong. I am considering opening up the BOV/pop-off housing to see if the seals are indeed deteriorated. At some point, I will rebuild this engine and will find out definitively, if my original conclusions were correct (rod knock).

My current condition (in a different thread) is a distinct vacuum leak, but I haven't heard the current BOV with a leaking seal make any noises.

Now that I have read a bunch more on the stock BOV, it got my curiosity going. One of these days, I will have to take that engine apart, find out what the noise was and rebuild it.
1974 914-6 3.2, GT -(Red).......| 1974 914 - Unit Body (TBD)
1971 914 (TBD).....................|
Old 12-23-2014, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)