View Single Post

Now that the deal is done....I don't really need to be that discrete anymore.

This was my Dads car, he was a fairly well known collector of 60s Corvettes, Daytona Ferrari's and Various muscle/race cars. This car has been in a climate/humidity controlled garage all of its life.

The car was delivered in Germany under the European delivery program....it was driven there for about 3 weeks and then shipped to the USA. When it came to the USA, it was purchased by his Exotic auto dealership (It's what you do when you have 20+ cars). The car was not driven much here in the US....He kept the European plates on it because he liked the look....the dealer plate was usually in the back seat Part of the reason for the low miles is that he bought a 1990 ZR1 shortly after the Porsche....which turned into the "flavor of the year".

He passed away in 2007 and slowly but surely the collection has been sold off. The dealership will be liquidated soon as well. I stepped in on this one and the ZR1 as they were 2 of the last 4 cars left (I hated the idea of them going up to auction right now). The family agreed to a "package deal" so everyone wins.

He was a sharp guy when it came to picking good cars, he knew what boxes to check and what colors to pick....researching the history has been a lot of fun as well. I have magazines and brochures with his hand written notes, letters to the Porsche reps about dimensions of the "cargo" areas and details on European delivery (he was no stranger to this after buying 2 Daytonas in Modena in the previous decade). I even found some of the Porsche fitted luggage pieces that he bought to maximize storage during the European trip.

I still have a lot to sort through and will share freely as I learn more.

BTW: I am forever indebted to all those who have made this thread what it is....the education has been priceless!

Andrew
Old 12-31-2014, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #946 (permalink)