View Single Post

I believe that all of the factory A/C from roughly 1970 through 1983, except Turbo 3.3 cars, used the York 210 heavy duty compressor, an aluminum, twin cylinder, 10 c.i. displacement unit. The Turbo 3.3 used a York 209 super-compact mini unit, with rear mounted fittings. The 209 mini is also aluminum, with 9 c.i. displacement unit and smaller outside dimensions than a standard 209. All of these units are good for 6000 rpm. You should find a nameplate on the compressor, identifying the model and date of manufacture.

As far as I can tell, there are differences between the two compressors - including the clutch and sheave - but many parts will interchange.

I think that earlier 911s used York compressors, too, but I am not sure of the model.

York compressors were used in many auto a/c systems, including Volvo and Mercedes, so parts and used units should be easy to come by. I don't know what other cars, besides the Turbo 3.3, used the 209 mini, and the rear fittings may be hard to find.

You should be able to find a York service manual on line, which will help to sort this out and to repair your unit if need be.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)