View Single Post

Garage
Radiator fin combs work pretty well!

I recently bought a used rear decklid condenser from a fellow Pelican and found that I was going to need to straighten some fins if I was going to use it.

After some googling, I came to learn that there is actually a purpose-made tool for this very task called, appropriately enough, a "fin straightener" or radiator comb.

My wife actually helped me on this, which is a first other than bleeding the brakes. After some work with the comb, a small tweezers and tiny flat blade screwdriver, we got it to this point:

This fins were very much straighter but the shiny marks from the formerly bent fins stood way out, so a light coat of satin black was applied and basically made them disappear:

Tucked up in the decklid, it is essentially invisible but now it's functionally and cosmetically something I can install on my 930 and feel good about. Anyone with dents or flattened fins should take a look at this little tool:
http://www.amazon.com/Robinair-18403-Fin-Straightener/dp/B002BHRXJ6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1420402670&sr=1-2&keywords=radiator+comb
Old 01-04-2015, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)