View Single Post

Wacky…clutch travel limited…cause?

Rebuilt my pedal cluster last year, put everything back and have been driving without the wood floor board so I can make adjustments… tried to put the floor board back and noticed an odd issue. I saw others post the same issue in prior threads, but never saw anyone post a reply…

The manual states that the clutch should travel 25mm+/- (27 on the turbo?), and this distance is adjusted at the clutch stop on the floor board…

Well, I measured mine, and was only getting 22mm max travel. This is the full max with the clutch going from full up, to full down. The clutch rubber stop all the way recessed.

Tried all the adjustments. Tinkered with it for 2 weekends. Omega spring is on right. Bowen tube in all the way. Cable not frayed. No bad bushings. Clutch works fine (good release fork). 1mm gap present.

I thought it might be a cable that stretching. So, I took the load off the cable and disconnected it from the spring. I marked the cable where it exits the Bowen tube. Then, I fully depressed the clutch. This would be the absolute maximum that the clutch cable can travel, with no load. I measured 25mm!!!

Thats it. 25mm. Thats the full clutch travel. No more room to go up, or down. I was expecting it to be more like 35 mm, and then limited to 25 with the floor rubber stop...

That explains why its 22mm with a load. Is the absolute max actually supposed to be 25??? That just seems odd.

I don't know what the other posters did (at least 3 folks started similar thread - "I cant get enough clutch travel"), but I just modified the wood board to give more travel by sanding away some wood… Worked great.

But that brings up the question, "Why is the max travel only 25mm???" Is it possible that there were different pedal clusters, and a PO put in the wrong one? Different floor boards?

I was going to replace the cable, but not sure that would matter. If the max distance an unloaded cable can travel is 25mm, what good is putting in a new cable going to do? It still can't travel more than 25mm…

Any thoughts appreciated… The clutch itself is fine, its got less than 1000 miles on.

Also, is that 1mm gap at the clutch adjustment really needed? That translates into a 2-3mm cable travel shortage… I assume it is needed, to unload the release bearing??? Though I found plenty of threads where folks didn't leave a gap by design…

Doing the search, looks like I am the 4th person to post this issue on Pelican over the years… No solution posted yet! Perhaps your answer can be the first!

Bo
Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)