View Single Post
Air Cooled

Garage
$10k?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......GASP.....H AAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...SPU TTER....GASP...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man...that one got me! Whew...I needed a good laugh too.

I bought my very well running '78 911 SC with 97k miles for under $10k in 2009. It had an excellent condition interior, 20 foot paint job, great running engine, and all of the proper base level upgrades. It was a good runner and a good looker.

Since then, I've redone the suspension, brakes, wheels, custom exhaust and a ton of small things to make it a well sorted example of a mildly hot-rodded 911 SC.

I'm well over $15k into the upgrades and haven't touched body work, paint, or more importantly, sourcing period correct RS components.

I hope you triple that $10k number right now, because the RS clones I've seen posted here usually have more than that in just the motor refresh (I'm not talking about period correct, high compression 2.7L with mechanical fuel injection, dual plug heads, hot cams, and high-end rods/pistons/valves).

This isn't to say that you can't do some of the work to offset the costs, but you're pointing your target at one of the most expensive projects with the lowest budget I've seen.

I'm also not sure why you say that there are just three years of 911 production, the G50 Carreras, as "the best platform" for this backdate, when others, like Singer, have used the more modern 964 as the bases for their resto-mods, and even others have used similar vintage long hoods. I understand that the torsion bar models may well have more in common with the RS than the more sophisticated 964 platform, but this isn't going to be an actual RS, so you might as well also included the 964 as one of the best platforms to create an homage to the RS.

That being said, it sounds like you seem willing to jump into the deep end of the pool, and I wish you the best of luck. I just hope this doesn't become a stalled project when the money is gone and it's not even 1/3 done, and if you are truly like many of us here, the "while you're in there" is going to take over and you'll find yourself married to a project that may kick you in the proverbial pills.

I hope I'm wrong and you are more aware of the costs than your article would leave one to believe, and in that case, I am excited to watch the project progress.

Best of luck!
'88 Honda Hawk GT, '77 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)